<VV> How Many Miles

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Mon Sep 17 14:29:20 EDT 2012

Smitty Says;  Wish this subject had come up 3-4 years ago.  I could have
thrilled and amazed everyone with the miles I racked up every year.  GG  But
alas I have become old and bone sore and the road side tech sessions have
lost their glamour.  In the desert summers and the arctic heights of
Colorado in the winter I changed fan belts, rebuilt powerglides, replaced
crankshafts, overhauled differentials, rebuilt alternators, changed fuel
pumps and wheel bearings, proving I was every bit as good as Frank Buck.
(Ask an old guy).
In between entertainments like that, in either my 64 convert "with camper or
my 64 wagon "with camper, I went to most of the local shows in the country,
and all conventions from 84 on.  That was the year I started hauling the
camper.  Two trips were 12,000 miles or more and one was 14,000.  I averaged
14 to 15 thousand a year for most years.  I never considered a trip to be
long until I was on the west side of Kansas.
I attribute being able to do this to the absolute joyful driving of the
wagon.  When I built it I was obsessed with soundproofing and driver
comfort.  I would spend hours and hours in a salvage yard trying out seats
until I made my selection.  Just to save you asking, the ones I chose were
from an 80s something Mitsubishi Plymouth Saphro.  The kind that sit on the
floor and position your legs straight ahead.  I jacked them up to
comfortable chair height (for me).  They are firm and somewhat unyielding
with good side bolsters and lumbar support.  One time I drove non stop from
Kansas City to St Catherens Canada and crawled out feeling fine when I got
there.
In truth I would still be "going for it", but for my wife who was a good
sport about riding in Corvairs for many years has asked for modern comfort
and less unprogramed stops.  She has earned my consideration.