<VV> Oil ring question

Karl Haakonsen cityhawk at pobox.com
Tue Sep 18 13:15:34 EDT 2012

Thanks Bob,

I did actually notice that the compression rings do have the word "TOP"
printed in small letters on one side.... while I was putting the rings
on the second piston.... So I pulled out the first one, and of course,
they were upside down. So I fixed that.

I put the ring gaps in the orientation that you show in your "Classic
Corvair" book... though I notice that they move somewhat when applying
the ring compressor (not to mention if you end up turning the piston at
all during the assembly process. I'm not sure if they are anywhere near
the original orientation now that the pistons are inside the cylinders.

Karl