<VV> Oil ring question

Bob Tarpenning bobtcars at wildblue.net
Wed Sep 19 08:25:08 EDT 2012

The most important thing is the ring gap.  I had a '48 Hudson that had been
overhauled by a professional mechanic (?).  He had honed the cylinders out
to .010 oversize then found out that Hudson didn't make .010 pistons.  He
put the originals back in with Chevrolet rings.  I bought the car.  It
didn't smoke and ran good.  I drove it from Ft. Worth to Pueblo, Co. to the
street rod nationals, about 1500 miles round trip.  Used 15 quarts of oil.
My friend that followed me said it didn't smoke except when I hit passing
gear and just a little puff.  When I took it down to find the trouble, I
found .145 ring gap.  The moral to the story is check your ring gap.

Bob T