<VV> oil filter magnets

judynrandy at comcast.net judynrandy at comcast.net
Mon Apr 1 21:39:34 EDT 2013

I suppose those of you who believe in magnets on oil filters, et al, do have a point about capturing some ferrous related particles.  BUT, what about the NON-FERROUS particles?  Wouldn't a wiser choice be to use a filter that captures ALLof the  particles down to say, less than the 20 micron range?  Amsoil says there should never never ever be metal to metal contact inside an engine.  Since everything rides on a film of oil, I can see that.  And if the vast majority of particles never penetrate the film strength of the synthetic oil, then there is that many less particles to worry about.

   As for me, I use an Amsoil  full flow oil filter that filters down to the 20 micron particle range and a by-pass oil filter that filters out all particles down to less than 1 micron in size.  The oil comes out the bypass filter analytically clean.

   So what's the moral of the story?  A  top notch synthetic oil and  filtration system is far superior to removing all particles from a crankcase than magnets will ever be.

Randy (Cap'n) Hook

'60 700 4dr 84/4spd (and bypass filter)

'63 ragtop 110/pg (and bypass filter)