<VV> Extremely SMALL NON MAG STUFF

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 16:22:36 EDT 2013

Tim, in reality anything larger than 20 microns is caught by most filters
and those are the particles that can cause scratches and higher wear in an
engine. Its important to change the oil and filter hot after the first few
miles to get that initial rub off from the rings and cylinder walls and
break in that new cam gear; out of the engine. After that, barring anything
coming apart in service, the size of the individual fuzz or non-ferrous
material is so small as the oil circulates repeatedly through the engine
under pressure they are virtually harmless. The non-ferrous stuff should
stop after the first oil change unless you've got a piston coming apart,
cam gear issues, etc, if  you cleaned the case properly.

We all want the best for our engines so we have these debates about which
filter is the best one to use. As long as the engine has been properly
rebuilt and properly cared for, there is little need for the filter to do
anything; you would actually see more wear on the oil pump gears that rub
together all the time than anywhere else for many many miles; but a good
filter will help to keep the engine in good condition, for a longer period
of time.  Just as does the proper oil changed at regular intervals will do
the same thing.

Mark Durham