<VV> Fwd: Re: VAPOR LOCK

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Apr 8 21:30:32 EDT 2013

Cool east, Ha!

This is debated all the time, but here in VA we can have vapor lock.

Just drive your car on a hot day, especially with the AC on, to get the
engine hot. Go into a store for 10 to 15 minutes, letting the engine
heat soak into the fuel pump and inlet fuel line to the pump.

Come back out, start the car, car starts fine, back out of your parking
space and try to drive away. At this point you have used up all the fuel
in the float bowls and the fuel pump just cannot move enough of that
vaporized fuel in the inlet and fuel pump cavities.

When this happens, just go get a cold drink with ice. Drink the liquid
and place the ice on top of the fuel pump. I suggest a diet drink or
water, as putting sugar on the engine makes a sticky mess.

People who do not stop for 10 to 15 minutes on a hot day will never see
vapor lock with a properly operating Corvair. A 30 minute stop seems
long enough to cool the fuel back to liquid.

People who get enough cool air in the engine compartment in the first
two minutes after starting a hot car, will not see it.

If this happens everytime you stop the car, replace the fuel pump, maybe
it is not sealing on the check valves right.

Vapor forming in the outlet pipes of the fuel pump is not an issue, as
when the fuel pump pumps liquid fuel, it will force that vapor right
into the float bowls, followed by liquid fuel that will pass through the
carb to run the engine.

If you never saw this vapor lock happen, just visit me on a 90+ day and
lets take a drive in my 66 AC sedan.

Frank DuVal

ps, I installed an electric pump on a switch so I can run it to cure
vapor lock, but let the mechanical pump  provide fuel 99.99% of the time.