<VV> Elec fuel pump

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 8 21:38:45 EDT 2013

                                                                               B"H
So far I've owned two Corvairs, a 66 and a 69.  Both left me stranded away from home due to bum mechanical fuel pumps.  Both cars in very nice condition overall.  Even new pumps stunk and leaked gasoline into the engine room in short order (mostly where the top and bottom halves were bolted together), making me and my passengers nauseous.
Both cars have had electric fuel pumps, mounted in front just below the fuel tank.  When my 69 was totalled in a rear ender, I removed the pump and installed it in my "new" 66.  My understanding is that electric pumps are better at pushing than pulling fuel, so by mounting the pump by the fuel tank, the pump almost never has to suck gas.
So far, no smell, not failures, no problems.  I'm a happy camper with the electric unit, but just in case, I have a spare mechanical pump in the trunk.  It's fairly new and only smells a little...Bill Hershkowitz 66 Monza Sport Sedan 110 PG A/C