<VV> Busted clutch cables

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 16 22:13:06 EDT 2013

That's what I did. When I was a kid nad had my first Corvair, I broke a clutch cable. Drove it about 2 weeks as you describe. Kind of like an early hybrid - as long as the starter stays intact. Corvairs shift very easily without the clutch. I never seemed to be able to pull it off so well in my newer-fangled cars!

Rick Norris said:

<<After deliberating for a time I decided to just start it in gear and shift
without the clutch, which is exactly what I did to get home.
The next day I bought a new cable from the local Chevy dealer and fixed it.>>

-- Doug Mackintosh
Corsa member since 1996
Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member
Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on