<VV> voltage regulator questions

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 15:21:15 EDT 2013

Hi guys.  My buddy Ben's 62 isn't charging.  It's probably important to
mention that up until now this car has not been running since before he
bought it.  He picked up a voltage regulator (Carquest VR30) at the NJACE
auction brand new in the box and I installed it today.

I did the polarization procedure, ground A to B I think it was.

The generator charges fine when I ground the "F" field terminal so I know
that works.

I don't have a radio noise suppressor on it but I'm pretty sure that
doesn't matter.

Any chance this is the wrong regulator and it won't work with the Corvair?
 Since it's not a Delco I assume the mention in the shop manual of checking
to make sure it is the Corvair unit doesn't apply.

I opened up the new regulator and it is beautiful inside... it looks like
it was manufactured yesterday.  No sign of corrosion or damage of any kind.

I didn't actually measure the air gaps because my feeler gauge is out on
loan.  This is not an adjustable unit anyway (I guess you could try to bend
the brackets maybe).

If any of you are able to explain to me exactly how the regulator works and
what each component does I believe I know enough to understand it, if I
understood how it works I could probably figure out some tests to do.  I'd
really love to have someone fully explain these mystery boxes to me so I
could check out all the old ones I have on a shelf and maybe get some
working spares out of it.

At this point I guess I'll go out and swap on the regulator from Missy's 63
to verify the problem is internal to the regulator..  I'll report back in a
little while.

Ray Rodriguez III
Certifiable Vair Nut