<VV> Busted clutch cables

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Wed Apr 17 22:02:31 EDT 2013

If you have a lever with a fixed center pivot then you want the loads the be perpendicular to the lever at the ends.  At 90 degrees you have the maximum leverage and the more the angle changes the less leverage you have until you hit 0 degrees and you have none and it ceases to be a lever.  If our clutch lever is designed to move 10 degrees I would guess that the proper adjustment would require that the relationship of the rod to the lever hits 90 degrees at the half way point of the travel used.  You might even want it to hit 90 when the clutch is fully released so that it's a little easier to hold down.  The only way to adjust this is to shim the pivot ball, add or remove metal from the flywheel or release bearing.  It's easiest to shim the pivot.  Of course the same concepts apply to the cross shaft which is easier to adjust and probably what most here are speaking of.
Joel McGregor