<VV> Single Carburetor more info

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Apr 22 21:21:39 EDT 2013

How did you balance the carbs, with just the idle mixture and speed screws?

You need to start with the shop manual and the linkage adjustments.

A simple vacuum leak can be found with propane or starting fluid sprayed
on the suspect leak area. Be mindful of ignition points, both the actual
point sin the distributor and anything else that sparks and ignites gas.

Most vacuum leaks on Corvairs are the balance tube rubber hoses to
heads. And hoses off the balance tube to PCV and other systems. I assume
you do not have a vacuum modulator on a manual shift, but is the hose
still hanging somewhere?

And if you do not have a balance tube, well that is a problem.

BTW, you used the actual correct term, but everyone here would know the
term choke pull-off. Good for you.

Most carb balance issues are linkage, not vacuum.

I haven't used a uni-syn in years. I just listen, but that is after 35
years experience. I did just get one in a trailer load of parts
Saturday. Now I will find my old one...

An extra engine would just confuse the situation more at this point.

Frank DuVal