<VV> Single Carburetor - Better formatted

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Apr 23 00:12:21 EDT 2013

Mike wrote:

Do  NOT  use ported vacuum, but draw directly from manifold  vacuum.

So Seth writes:

Mike  and I will have to disagree on this one, I guess. I believe you
should
give the distributor what it expects. The Corvair distributors (Turbo
models  excluded) were designed to have a stable timing at idle based  on
the
initial  setting only, with no vacuum or mechanical advance.  Vacuum was
only
applied when  the throttle was opened, mechanical  advance at some higher
RPM.
You could do the  mod that Matt  suggested, eliminating the Vacuum advance
completely. If the  initial  timing is set with this mod done, you won't
have
the stumble you   describe - if that idle drop is the culprit, and I think
it
is. Running  with out  vacuum advance, however, will impact gas mileage at
part  throttle cruise.  Engine vacuum is a reflection of engine load. An
engine
with a light load can  tolerate extra advance and, as GM originally
intended, more advance is better.  (Okay there is some question on an
engine that
is designed to NEVER ping, More  advance past a certain  point gives no HP
advantage. I assure you the  Corvair engine is not  that engine.) Just
short of
pinging is where the Corvair  engine  lives a happy life. If you cannot
find
a "ported" vacuum source on  the  2GC, you should either look for another
carb, or eliminate the  connection  entirely. GM built several dozen
different
2GC models  over 25+ years of  production. Models that fed vacuum at idle
the  distributor were designed to  work with that style distributor. (not
ours). If you feed manifold vacuum  to our distributors, opening the
throttle -
which drops the vacuum signal, will  instantly retard the  timing - You
already know the result of that. PS - Which  distributor  number are you
using on
the 110 motor? -Seth  Emerson