<VV> Single Carburetor

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Apr 23 00:04:58 EDT 2013

In a message dated 4/22/2013 8:35:45 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
mmccrae6 at cox.net writes:

Do NOT  use ported vacuum, but draw directly from manifold vacuum.
Mike and I will have to disagree on this one, I guess. I believe you should
 give the distributor what it expects. The Corvair distributors (Turbo
models  excluded) were designed to have a stable timing at idle based on the
initial  setting only, with no vacuum or mechanical advance. Vacuum was only
applied when  the throttle was opened, mechanical advance at some higher RPM.
You could do the  mod that Matt suggested, eliminating the Vacuum advance
completely. If the  initial timing is set with this mod done, you won't have
the stumble you  describe - if that idle drop is the culprit, and I think it
is. Running with out  vacuum advance, however, will impact gas mileage at
part throttle cruise.  Engine vacuum is a reflection of engine load. An engine
with a light load can  tolerate extra advance and, as GM originally
intended, more advance is better.  (Okay there is some question on an engine that
is designed to NEVER ping, More  advance past a certain point gives no HP
advantage. I assure you the  Corvair engine is not that engine.) Just short of
pinging is where the Corvair  engine lives a happy life. If you cannot find
a "ported" vacuum source on the  2GC, you should either look for another
carb, or eliminate the connection  entirely. GM built several dozen different
2GC models over 25+ years of  production. Models that fed vacuum at idle to
the distributor were designed to  work with that style distributor. (not
ours). If you feed manifold vacuum  to our distributors, opening the throttle -
which drops the vacuum signal, will  instantly retard the timing - You
already know the result of that. PS - Which  distributor number are you using on
the 110 motor? -Seth  Emerson