<VV> Single Carburetor - Better formatted

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Apr 24 01:09:17 EDT 2013

I wasn't ignoring you Mike, honest. If that one works for you, that's
great. I asked the guy which distributor he was using and I haven't heard back
as yet. Reference your note, GM was using ported vacuum way before
emissions were much of an issue. I agree that the mechanical advance eventually
(~68) got really goofy with tiny initial advance (some Corvairs were at 4
degrees, as I recall.) But if he starts at 12 degrees (initial only) - the
early 110HP standard setting -(depending on which distributor he is  using) a
full manifold idle vacuum will give him a bunch of advance at  idle. Advance
that will evaporate when the throttle is opened. It would be even  worse if
he has set the initial advance with the vacuum connected. That's why I  asked
about the distributor. I do agree on the heat under the carb. Have you
seen people route the "recirculation" air off the exhaust manifolds (which is
also formerly cooling air) up to the carb, like the V8s do, with a vacuum
door and a hose feed? That should help in heating the input air. -  Seth

In a message dated 4/23/2013 8:58:24 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,