<VV> Mitty Track Update No.3

ricknorris at suddenlink.net ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Fri Apr 26 21:32:10 EDT 2013

Day three has been a nice weather wise day for aircooled cars. Morning temps were cold enough to freeze the dew on the car covers. During the day it snows tree pollen! Never had the here before.
No failures to report. My race engine is running well with no leaks. Checked some plugs and I liked what I saw so no jet changes. I did however lower my float levels.
Today was practice runs. We had one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Then there was the American Challenge race which anyone could sign up and run. Mike Levine, James Reeve and Spence Shepard ran it. I was busy with the carb floats. There was 72 cars of all types and speeds. It was crazy but our crew did well with no mishaps.
The weather for the rest of the week end looks grim with the threat of rain. We'll see.
Tim Suddard of Classic Motorsports Magazine came by with his early model turbo Spyder convertible. Seems it was having a problem, not running well. He begged and pleaded with the guys to look at it. Mike Levine and Michael LeVeque worked on it and discovered the Pertronix kit was at fault. They replaced the plate with a regular set of points. The plate was scavenged from my old race engine I had in the truck. Michael had some points and after installing them and timing it all was well again. Later Michael took it out for a 15 mile test drive and said it ran nice. I suspect there may be something in a future issue about our gang helping out. It's a nice looking car.
We all partook of the free Mexican food and beer at the pavilion which is provided by one of the race sponsors. I did this the first year in 2009. It was packed as usual and they had a Mariachi band playing.
There will be more spectators tomorrow and racing I hope on a dry track. I'm tired but happy.
--
Rick Norris
#36 Sunoco Corvair
www.corvairalley.com