<VV> Lifter question

Bob Gilbert bgilbert at gilberts-bc.ca
Mon Aug 12 21:10:47 EDT 2013

Hi,

My freshly built 3.1 runs well but has just started to develop what sounds
like a lifter noise in the LH bank, possibly in the area of #2 cylinder

It's like standard "noisy lifter" noise but with a harsher metallic sound.

I have set the valves, twice cold (half turn)as per normal and just for a
change I did a hot adjustment but the sound persists.

One of the things I noticed while doing the hot adjustment was that I was
able to turn the rocker nut down on # 2 exhaust a full turn past the normal
correct setting with no perceptible change in either operational engine
sound or the "noisy lifter" noise.

Not being familiar with adjusting lifters while running I was wondering - is
being able to turn the adjuster nut a full additional turn down with no
audible effects normal?

Thanks,

Bob