<VV> Lifter question

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Aug 12 23:05:53 EDT 2013

Well, yes and no.

You should not be able to turn the nut a full turn without some change
of running/change of noise.

Usually as you turn the nut a 1/2 turn, you need to wait for the lifter
to change its operating range. During this period, the valve is held
open, so  there is a miss. Once the lifter "pumps down" the miss goes away.

Now, if while turning the nut the noisy lifter does not go silent, the
noise is not lifter clatter, but something else. I've had worn guides
and worn rocker arms make this noise. I've heard of worn valve lifter
bores also making noise.

Time for the rubber hose while it is running. Hold one end in your ear,
put the other end next to all suspect areas.

This is a good time to find younger members with better hearing for us
old guys.

Frank DuVal