<VV> 140 hesitation on transition to secondaries

J. R. Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 13 01:11:00 EDT 2013

A couple of things (at least) come to mind.

You should be able to modify the unisyn with some sort of thick gasket - tall enough to have it clear the vent tubes.

Check the accelerator pump cups in the primaries (and the secondaries if you've added them there as well) for hardness.  If they are not soft, change them out.

Did this engine start out life as a 110?  You might need to recurve the distributor advance (by changing springs and/or weights (under the plate)), or you might just have a worn out plate.  Or, be sure that you have a 140 distributor in the first place.

Have you checked the throttle cross shaft to see that the right side is not lagging behind the left side as you open the throttle?  The carb linkage can be adjusted to syncronize that.

All vacuum hoses are in place and not hard or leaking and are connected to correct ports?  I'm assuming no vacuum leaks on the carb throttle shafts since you say they are new.

There is probably other stuff to check that I did not think of and the order above is not really in sequence with where to look first or last.  Just in the order that these items came to mind.

Later, JR