<VV> Questions on door panels and Monza Emblems

J. R. Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 25 00:20:17 EDT 2013

The car is a '65 Monza Convert with power top.  Supposed to be Cameo Biege exterior, but is about 3 shades more yellow than it should be.  Does not matter for the questions I wish to ask.

The interior is Saddle Tan.  I'm replacing the 2 door panels, the small (1/4?) rear seat area flat (window crank area) interior panels, the rear arm rest (ash tray area) panels and the panels above those which wrap around with a metal backing to behind the upright portion of the rear seat.

I also wish to refresh the paint on the doors (etc) which surrounds the flat panels as well as (possibly) the center prtion of the dash.  Since the painting will need to be done before the upholstery is installed, my first questions relate to that.

Currently, the interior door paint is a bit gold in color and I suspect that it is a factory color.  The dash and speaker/defroster area are more of a coaco brownish color and I'm not sure if that is original - although it seems to match the padded dash.

Paint Questions:

Can anyone tell me if the dash (radio area and speaker area) are supposed to match the metal interior door panel surround area?

If they are supposed to match, what is the correct color (colors?) which go with a saddle tan interior?  I need to let my body guy know ASAP on the answers to these questions, so any quick help would be greatly appreciated on this part.

The other questions have to do with the interior parts.

I know that I have to transfer the bright (aluminum? or chromed steel?) strips from the old upholstery (it's a '65) to the new upholstery.  While they are off, I'd like to do a clean/polish job on those items.  Does anyone know what would be the best (damage free) cleaner and/or polisher to use on these parts?

There are also door Monza Emblems which must be moved over.  I've not yet done an evaluation of the existing ones, but I'm wondering who may have used reproduction emblems in the past and how well they held up.  Keep in mind that I typically put over 3,000 pr year on this car and it is not uncommon to hit the 10,000 mark.  Also, since it is a vert, the possibility also exists the door emblems could (unintentionally) get wet.

The metal wrap around pieces which go from the top of the rear side panels to the top of the rear seat and get fabric glued to them seem to have screws pushing the fabic away from the steel on the outside which would not be seen without looking down into the area where the top folds.  I've not taken this fabric off yet, but wonder if those (seemingly the sharp end of sheet metal screws) are even needed on a power top car?  I'm guessing that they are there to hold the upright pieces for holding a manual top in the down position.

I know that there are other questions (minor ones).  I'll hold off on those for a bit.

Any/All help would be greatly appreciated on the items above.

Thanks.

Later, JR