<VV> Sport wheel option - Wheel replacement

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Aug 25 13:07:57 EDT 2013

Someone on the "Corvair Forum" acquired a parts car with the GM Sport Wheel
 option. This is the same "wood" wheel as used on most Telescoping
installations,  but with a fixed hub. Like most "exposed" wheels - sitting outside
through a few  summers and winters - there were cracks in the rim plastic. I
don't know what he  is going to do with the wheel, fix or replace it, but I
offered the following  advice if he decides to remove the wheel from the hub:

Remove the steering wheel assembly from the column. With the Sport wheel
option, the wheel is riveted in place with two other parts, the actual
splined hub portion and the outer cover. If you decide to replace the wheel  with
another, you will have to drill out the rivets and replace them with
tapered head screws and nuts. This is not fun! The nuts will be located deep
down the underside of the adapter. The problem is trying to tighten these up,
while maintaining the alignment of the outer cover. If you don't keep it
centered on the adapter, it will rub on the column. I would try this method
after removal from the car: Remove the rivets and disassemble the wheel. Bolt
 the wheel down on the adapter -without the outer cover in place, using
tapered  seat screws in the wheel and flanged nuts underneath. This will give
you much  easier access to those nuts underneath. Tack weld a couple of spots
on the  sides of each nut, where they contact the flange, to keep them in
place. Now you  can re-assemble the wheel/cover/hub. The cover will slide
around between the  wheel and the hub, allowing you to align it, without having
to go underneath to  tighten it down. By the way, many aftermarket steering
wheels will fit that hub.  Along with the Corvair-Corvette-specific wheels
from Grant, MOMO wheels have the  same 6-bolt pattern. The horn button is
available in Repro from Clarks. - Enjoy  - Seth Emerson