<VV> Info On Corvairs in South Dakota

Greg Shaw 65vair180 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 31 00:14:23 EDT 2013

  For those interested in the Corvairs out in Mitchell, South Dakota I got some valuable information after talking to Mike Lacy today. Wells Fargo Bank is in charge of the estate and they were going to have ALL of the Corvairs crushed. Mike put a stop to that and bought the vehicles some time. They have to be off the property by November 1st. The owner died and the titles are not to be found. Mike is a licensed car dealer and is only allowed to get 35 titles. Fortunately Mike is Corvair knowledgeable and is determining which vehicles he thinks are the rarest and best suited for getting titles. The other vehicles though complete will be sold bill of sale only. I asked about the possibility of an auction but with Mike's past experience with them was less then satisfactory (few sold, many scrapped) it is not in the plans.

  The cars are being sold on a first come fist serve basis. The ones he is getting titles for cannot be sold until he has the titles (one to four weeks). He is accepting offers for the titled vehicles but is not taking any money. I think it is going to be kind of like a silent auction scenario: highest bid at the time Mike gets the title gets the vehicle. The non-titled vehicles can be bought now I believe. As I said, Mike is Corvair & car sales knowledgeable. He is not giving these away.
  If you are interested in any of the vehicles you can call Mike at 605-351-9282 or email him a request for pictures at diamondt1949 at gmail.com. Mike gave me permission to share this information with you. He wants to save as many of these vehicles as possible. Please be considerate when dealing with Mike as he is doing the Corvair community a great service. If one of you Corvair Forum guys want to put this note on the site (or any other Corvair related site) please do. Thank you.

Greg Shaw
Dearborn, MI