<VV> Books WAS : In the news

Shelrockbored at aol.com Shelrockbored at aol.com
Fri Aug 30 23:23:51 EDT 2013

I too read "Unsafe at Any Speed."  It makes some good points and I
remember thinking as I read it that it is always good to at least  understand the
opposing point of view.  But I also thought that it was  written using an
incredulous style that was common for the era.  In this  type of, "...you mean
you did not know that if the car you  manufactured was driven at 70 MPH over
ice that it could possibly skid and  get into an accident..." tone.  "Yeah,
I hate it when that happens."   In other words, "anti-establishment."  That
was very prevalent then.

Remember that the data that Ralph Nader used in his critique of the
Corvair was proven to be not only false, but the visual evidence had been
tampered with by staging the Corvair spin outs.  See Mike  Knepper's book, "Corvair
Affair" and John Wipff's book, "The Complete History of  Corvair for the
Complete Corvair Nut!!" to verify this.  If this is  true one has to ask the
question, what other tampered data did Nader use  (or tamper with himself) to
make his points in, "Unsafe at Any  Speed?"

However, I felt that John DeLorean's book, "On a Clear Day You See General
Motors" was a better critique of the auto industry.  He was in a  better
position to criticize said industry.  Although he did not care for  the
Corvair, Mr. DeLorean states in his book that the late model Corvair was the
safest car on the road.  Proof (grin) that lates are better than  earlies.

An interesting footnote crops up as well.  According to Mr. DeLorean,
despite what is stated in Wikepedia, the Mexican Nova marketing debacle  (Nova
meaning 'no go' in Spanish) DID happen and was NOT an urban  legend.
.

Steve Sassi

In a message dated 8/18/2013 1:54:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,