<VV> [fastvair] Re: Engine Install

SKIP FROST frostvair at aol.com
Wed Dec 4 16:35:30 EST 2013

I thought I would weigh in here being this is the only way I pull engines. My father and I always lift the car with the center motor mount using a chain fall. I will break it down step by step. This is what we do and by no means am I saying this is the end all be all way. 1st disconnect everything on top. The engine seal, pull the dist. Cap off, pull alt. off, pull fill tube out, and air cleaner off. Leave carbs on. Next go underneath and pull the starter, heater hoses and and lower rear grill and motor mount bolt cover plate. Pull all motor bell housing bolts except bottom two. Now with this done and a couple obvious things like throttle linkage and wiring harness's your ready to pull the engine out. Now take a soft strap and loop it threw the rear motor mount and hook to the hanging chain falls hook. Now lift car up just enough to slide ATV jack under engine leaving enough room to be able to pull lower bell housing bolts out. Now bring jack up and pull rear motor mount nuts off. Now raise car up a couple inches and pull front bell housing bolts out. Now slide engine back 4". Reach between engine and bell housing and slide drive shaft back into trans. Now raise car a little slide engine back. Repeat lifting and sliding back till engine is clear and lift the car till engine can slide right out the back.
To install follow same procedure in reverse. I have done hundreds of motors like this and have never broke anything. On an average day I can have a motor out in 20-30 minutes. I have never used pins to line it up but I do put a slot on the end of each bolt. Sorry I have no pics showing this but the next engine we do I'll take some. Any questions please feel free to call me at my shop. 419-357-5395 Skip Frost

Sent from my iPhone