<VV> now age of vehicles

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Fri Dec 13 16:08:45 EST 2013

On 12/13/2013 11:57 AM, shortle wrote:
> That is more than .002 cents Bob. As far as a "$100 per hour parts replacer" you may look for a different guy. In my shop we charge $90/hour and if we put a part on your newer type car and your car is not fixed we will take that part back off the shop and put it back on the shelf. Most of my inventory for customers cars is just that but there is a small amount that is used for diagnosis purposes. For those people on fixed incomes remember I didn't fix your income just your newer type car. Since I only work on 1 kind of car (VOLVO) it is easier to stock/repair/diagnose than a shop that wants to work on every kind of car. Oh I also just renewed my subscription to the Volvo on line service system for 1 year for a little over $7,000.00. Yeah yeah I know: that is my problem. My suggestion to the poor broke motoring public is DON'T DRIVE A CAR.
> Timothy Shortle in (cold) Durango Colorado 81301

That's a non-trivial cost of doing business!

It seems the complexity is a cost of having these amazing vehicles,
versus cars that were simpler, heavier, slower, and much less crashworthy.

How many 'computers' does the typical new (or late model) Volvo have?
Just counting the ones you can access using the diagnostic systems?

are they still using one wire per function for tail lights, brake
lights, etc., or are those networked too?

regards
Jay

--
Jay Maechtlen