<VV> heater exhaust smell.

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 19 12:45:04 EST 2013

Possibly a bad casting and some rust!

________________________________
 From: EVERETT WILSON <aircooled6 at prodigy.net>
To: VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:52 PM
Subject: Re: <VV> heater exhaust smell.

I had a recurring exhaust smellin the heater that I just couldnt find.  No head gasket, no tubes, no bad donuts( changed twice), no big cracks or obvious holes.   Had the car up on jackstands one day in the fall to put the heater boxes back on for another winter.  I happened to look up at one manifold and noticed a small black "soot" spot.  About 1/16th in diameter.   What is that? I thought.  It rubbed off with my finger.  Hmm.  Got a 1/32 drill bit and poked it in where the spot appeared and sure enough, with some twisting, it went all the way in.  Source Found!  Swapped a spare manifold into place and never had the issue return.

Everett WIlson
North Richland Hills TX