<VV> Non-Corvair Specific: Gas freezing?

Jim Davis jld at wk.net
Wed Dec 25 15:41:03 EST 2013

Humm, dry air has the same expansion coefficient as dry gaseous
nitrogen.  I suspect they use it because nitrogen won't oxidize the
sealing layer inside the tires and it won't support a tire fire.
Actually  nitrogen is a by product of  liquid oxygen production.
Liquid nitrogen boils at -320 F  liquid oxygen at - 297.  Air with the
carbon dioxide removed is dried, compressed and cooled to about -330 F
(at one atmosphere pressure).  At this temperature, the nitrogen and
oxygen will be liquids .  The mixture is allowed to boil and the vapor
is pure N2.  What is left at - 315 F is pure, dry, oxygen liquid.

Back in the day most USAF bases had LOX plants to supply the air crews
with oxygen.  A B-52 caries 99 liters of O2 in three converters.  Now
days LOX is supplied commercially to the bases by the same vendor that
supplies the local hospitals.
Jim Davis