<VV> Gas freezing?

J. R. Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 25 19:47:40 EST 2013

Sorry, I'll try to be more clear on my calcs.  Starting with 70F at sea
level and using the "rule of thumb" (strange expression) of a drop of 3F for
each 1,000 feet of altitude, the temp at 50,000 feet would be around -80F.
>From sea level to 50,000 at 3F per 1,000 feet the temp will drop by 150F or
so.  Subtracting the 70F at sea level, you end up at -80F at 50,000.  If the
rule of thumb is off a bit from the 3F drop, then the appropriate adjustment
needs to be made.

Once again - not a real likely altitude for a piston engine, but even 20,000
feet would give you a temp around +10F and little air for breathing or the
engine.  I think that we are in agreement that freezing fuel would not be
the main problem.

Later, JR