<VV> Gas freezing?

Jim Davis jld at wk.net
Wed Dec 25 21:21:07 EST 2013

The *environmental lapse rate* (ELR), is the rate of decrease of
temperature with altitude in the stationary atmosphere at a given time
and location. As an average, the International Civil Aviation
Organization
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Civil_Aviation_Organization>
(ICAO) defines an international standard atmosphere (ISA) with a
temperature lapse rate of 6.49 K(°C)/1,000 m^[/citation needed
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed>/] (3.56 °F or
1.98 K(°C)/1,000 Ft) from sea level to 11 km (36,090 ft). From 11 km
(36,090 ft or 6.8 mi) up to 20 km (65,620 ft or 12.4 mi), the constant
temperature is -56.5 °C (-69.7 °F), which is the lowest assumed
temperature in the ISA. The standard atmosphere
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICAO_Standard_Atmosphere> contains no
moisture. Unlike the idealized ISA, the temperature of the actual
atmosphere does not always fall at a uniform rate with height. For
example, there can be an inversion
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature_inversion> layer in which the
temperature increases with altitude.

I used to compute ballistics for B-58A.  (66,000 ft @ 1,150 nm/h)   This
is a rough estimation of the tables we used.

Jim Davis