<VV> Inside Shelby American book by John Morton, Corvair References.

Rick Norris ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Fri Dec 27 07:50:11 EST 2013

Just finished this book By John Morton. I found several Corvair references.

The first one is on page 55 where we discover the Shelby American shop truck
is a Corvair Greenbrier! No pics though.

Second reference on page 136 is about a Lotus 23 with a Corvair engine. The
passage goes: "I liked Lotus 23's and had my eye on a white one with a
Corvair engine entered for a driver named George Follmer, who I assumed
wasn't really serious or he wouldn't have screwed up his car with a Corvair
engine."

The next passage is on page 185 is when John is talking to his friend Bruce
Burness who was also an ex Shelby employee. He was approached by George
Follmer to build a larger fuel tank for his car. He said: "I won't waste my
time working on a car with a Corvair engine. If you remove the Corvair and
install a Porsche, we can talk." George did exactly that.

The last reference is found on page 187. "Bruce Burness had finished the job
of replacing the ill-conceived 2 liter Corvair engine in George Folmer's
Lotus 23 with a Porsche 904 engine."

This is a good book that shows the inner workings of Shelby American from a
grunt wannabe race car drivers perspective during the freewheeling days
before Ford management and big money took over.

Rick Norris

1st CORSA President, 1971

www.corvairalley.com <http://www.corvairalley.com/>

Hurricane WV