<VV> Tire size vs air pressure survey

Jim Davis jld at wk.net
Tue Dec 31 13:31:31 EST 2013

It is the air pressures in the tire hat holds the car up.  The more
pressure the more load the tire can carry.  It is hard for me to
consider the suggested pressures found on the glove compartment door of
my 1965 Corsa revelent with today's tires.  After all, the original
equipment tires were Firestone 2 ply nylon, bias ply in the 6.50x13
size.  Since the early 1970s the tires have been 195/70-14 on five spoke
Fenton 14x6 wheels.  The current tires are Kumho Solus KR21s with a 2
ply polyester with dual steel belts.  The Corsa has the F41 option with
quick steering box and arms and Positraction.   A little white shoe
polish and an empty parking lot show that 24 psi front and 36 rear is
the best compromise between ride quality and handling.  This is a trip
car with over 300,000+ miles on it (one owner).  Weighing the car shows
1,100 lbs on the front and 1,700 on the rear.  Max recommended tire load
is 1,356 @ 44 psi.   Thus the minimum air pressure would be 18 psi on
the front and 28 on the rear.  Any extra loading to the car besides the
one driver whose weight is included would have to be compensated for.
Jim Davis