<VV> Old tires, Revisited (No Corvair)

Bruce Schug bwschug at att.net
Mon Feb 11 09:34:46 EST 2013

Gary - I agree that this failure could have been caused by a road
hazard, but I doubt it was. Why do you think it wasn't caused by age?
I agree that the short side walls of these 35-series tires may have
contributed to their demise, especially if their inflation pressure
wasn't monitored carefully, although, with modern tire pressure
sensors, that is less likely to be a contributing factor.  Anyone who
drives on nine-year old tires is asking for an accident. There are
many recommendations for how long tires are safe. Here's the
recommendation from Tire Rack:

"Our experience has been that when properly stored and cared for, most
street tires have a useful life in service of between six to ten
years. And while part of that time is spent as the tire travels from
the manufacturing plant to the manufacturer's distribution center, to
the retailer and to you, the remainder is the time it spends on your
vehicle."

If you haven't read this before from the Tire Rack's web site, you
should. Also see parts 2 and 3. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Membership Chair,