<VV> bogus VIN plate?

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 20:37:17 EST 2013

Hiya guys,  Today Ben and I went to look at a 65 140 Corsa convertible.  It
was one of those deals that seemed too good to be true.

It turned out that the car was junk (rockers rusted away with a coat of
plastic over the top, I think 30% of the body was bondo) but I saw
something that bothered me and wanted to ask you guys.

The third digit of the VIN # (the one denoting that the car was a Corsa)
was not lined up with the rest and was much less clearly punched.  I was in
a big hurry to get out of the extreme cold so I didn't think to take a
picture. The trim tag was correct for a 65 Corsa Convertible, but I didn't
look any further than that.  The trim plate was not attached with factory
rivets.

The Corsa dash (though rough) was present, the block had a 140hp Monza/500
MT code, and the heads were 140 though it had been converted to only two
carbs.  The vacuum gauge line was not in evidence at the engine end and the
balance tube port for it was capped.  Among the receipts for parts and work
for the car was evidence the previous owner had bought some Corsa wiring
harnesses from Clark's for the car.

The short version is in the few minutes I looked at the car I couldn't find
anything to convince me the car started life as a Corsa.

The gentleman selling the car had only owned the car for a couple of
months.  He had decided he got in over his head in thinking he could fix it
up, and he was very interested to hear all I had to say about the
questionable things I was seeing.  The seller was definitely doing his best
to be honest and even stated that he wouldn't sell the car to any
unsuspecting buyers who didn't know what they were getting into.

The owner was told the engine was completely rebuilt in 2002 but the
receipts indicated differently.

A man named Richard Peris (shop owner of RP Corvair) in Columbia PA had
done some work at that time but it was only fairly minor stuff.  The
"rebuild" had cost the previous owner only a little over $600.00 in 2002.
 Rings were changed, rod bolts replaced, push rods replaced (strange?),
head gaskets, and a few other items.

The owner of the car who had the work done is deceased.  I know of a method
currently available (and legal via loophole) by which someone very likely
could get a title to match the altered VIN # if so inclined, so the fact
that the title matches the VIN doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Neither Ben nor myself is buying the car so it is not really critical to
me, but the seller expressed interest in knowing whether or not the VIN was
likely altered.  The car would be worth buying for parts at the right price
as the 140 sounds reasonably healthy and the car also has a new gas tank
and sender as well as Clark's finned valve covers and oil pan.  The (white)
bucket seats are a bit discolored from age but no tears or cracks that I
saw.  I'm sure a few other useful things could be pulled off as well.  If I
had the space, time and energy I'd likely make an offer to buy it to part
it out myself.  I discussed price with the owner and he said he would
probably take $1,500 for it which I feel isn't too far off the mark for a
parts car with a decent running 140 engine (minus secondaries, 140 linkage,
and 140 air cleaner assy.) , 4 speed diff and trans, new gas tank and
sender, and the finned covers.  The Corsa dash had surface rust on the
gauge backgrounds.

If anyone is interested in the car for parts it is located near
Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania and I can provide contact info.

Ray Rodriguez III