<VV> Vacuum Advance? Re: custom distributor curve?

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Fri Feb 22 14:22:11 EST 2013

Removing the vacuum advance (and plugging the line  connecting it to the
carb) might make sense to a strictly performance-oriented  Corvair, but IMHO
is the wrong choice for any car driven in normal street  traffic.  And it's
not simply a case of fuel consumption.  Vacuum  advance also greatly improves
part throttle response such as accelerating from a  traffic light or even
when changing lanes in traffic.
    Consider the completely stock turbo Corvair that  comes with NO vacuum
advance and only has pressure ignition  RETARD that works at rpms ABOVE 4000
(for the 1965 and 66  models).  Driving these cars in traffic means using a
CONSTANT FIXED  ignition timing (24 degrees BTDC) until you get above 4000
rpm AND  achieve some boost.  When you compare the STREET driving
performance  of the turbo Corvairs against the 140 engined cars it's no wonder that so
 many more 140s were sold than the turbo Corvairs!
    Adding vacuum advance to a turbo Corvair not only  produces
significantly better fuel mileage (I got over 20% improvement) but also  improves the
throttle RESPONSE of the engine when driving in  traffic.
    You can read more about this in my Turbocharging  Chapter 33 in the
Corvair BASICS manual available from CORSA.
    Frank Burkhard
    Boonton, NJ

In a message dated 2/21/2013 6:34:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,