<VV> Need Both Re: Vacuum Advance vs Safeguard turbo application

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Fri Feb 22 23:06:21 EST 2013

Frank,
    For your first statement, yes, you could increase  base timing somewhat
and then use the SafeGuard to automatically decrease it  when necessary to
prevent knock/pinging.  But running an engine at just a  slight bit less
than the timing that makes pinging/knock is not necessarily the  timing that
makes the best TORQUE for those conditions of rpm and load.S
    For your last statement, definitely YES.   Using a standard Corvair
vacuum advance unit AND a SafeGuard would be MUCH  better than the stock turbo
pressure retard unit only.  That is almost what  I've been running on my
1965 Corsa except that I use a Carter EKE (engine knock  eliminator) instead of
a SafeGuard.  And YES it would have the acceleration  response of the
normally aspirated Corvair engines (95, 110 and 140) and still  have the safety
of knock elimination at boosted conditions, whether high or  low.  I think
the factory should have provided both vacuum advance AND  pressure retard on
the turbo engines.
    There is one difficulty in adding vacuum advance to  the stock Corvair
YH carb on the turbo engines.  Unlike the NA Corvair  Rochester carbs, the
Corvair sidedraft YH carb has NO  open vacuum advance  port in the base of
the carb.  In the NA carbs this port is  located UPSTREAM of the throttle
plate when the plate is closed at idle  so the port "sees" atmospheric pressure
and therefore NO vacuum is sent to  the vacuum advance unit at the side of
the distributor giving NO vacuum advance  to the engine at idle speed.  Only
when the throttle plate begins to  OPEN above idle speed does the plate move
to the other side of the port thereby  exposing it to the intake manifold
vacuum and thereby "sending" this vacuum to  the vacuum advance and advancing
the timing.  Since you don't want to  have vacuum advance at idle, one way
of solving this problem is to put an  normally closed electric solenoid
valve in the vacuum line between the intake  manifold and the vacuum advance
unit on the distributor.  Then use a  microswitch set up on the throttle
linkage so that the solenoid valve stays  closed at idle but opens at speeds ABOVE
idle to "send" vacuum to the  advance unit.
    What I chose to do was more straightforward but  more difficult to find
the right part..Remember that the sidedraft Carter YH  carb was also used
on UN-boosted engines like the early Corvette straight 6  cyl. and the Nash 6
cyl engines (remember them????)  And if you look  at the YH carb you can
see that the throttle section is a separate unit from the  rest of the carb so
I was able to find this separate throttle section that  INCLUDED a vacuum
advance port INSIDE the carb just upstream of the  throttle plate (this port
is a slot about 1/8 inch by 1/32 inch).  On  the OUTSIDE of the throttle
section is a threaded opening  connecting to the inside port.  So I just ran a
vacuum line from this  outside connection to the vacuum advance unit on the
side of the  distributor.  This gave me the same function that NA Corvairs
have - NO vacuum advance at idle but vacuum advance as soon as the throttle
is  opened above idle speed.
    I definitely recommend adding vacuum advance to the  turbo carb. since
it not only improves off idle throttle response when driving  in traffic and
at low/medium UNboosted speeds but also significantly  improves fuel
mileage (mine went up over 20%).
    Frank "the other one" Burkhard
    Boonton, NJ
P.S.  Another advantage to using the SafeGuard comes if you decide to  add
water injection to your turbo operation.  You can also get the  SafeGuard
optional dashboard display that shows the driver WHEN and  HOW MUCH electronic
retard is being provided at any moment.  Using  this feature can help you
setup the water flow rate to provide sufficient water  flow for a wide range
of operating conditions without the danger of  "flooding" the engine.

In a message dated 2/22/2013 9:11:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,