<VV> A reason to worry?

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Thu Jan 3 12:40:25 EST 2013

Mike:
> Is there a simple test I can make to decide whether this is a
> terminal condition such that I should finally retire at least the body of the
> car?
A variant of what you've done would be to do the same test with the
doors closed but the windows open.  You should definitely get a friend
of similar or greater weight to help you.  Both of you should get in the
car on the side where you've had the problem, roll down the windows,
kneel on the seats looking out, and do your best to move your bodies up
and down while watching the door seam.  If the seam visibly pinches or
moves, you might have an issue.

I'd suggest that you stick your finger in there to see if it pinches,
but that sounds like a recipe for a blood blister. Perhaps go out in the
yard and find a soft stick (no bark) about the size of the door seam,
insert the stick in the seam, and then do the test.  If the stick gets
crushed, you'll see it.

In a LM convertible, this happens at the top of the seam, nearest the
door lock.  As others have mentioned, if you drive in a short-sleeve
shirt and rest your arm on the door, the soft skin on your inner arm can
get pinched but good when you hit a depression in the road.

Good luck.

Steven "king of blood blisters" Serenska