<VV> <Aarrgghh!!> Autoweek ~ "ill-handling Corvair" - Really ?

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Wed Jan 23 11:07:00 EST 2013

OK, first example :-)

Answer to the question … everyone!  Because a Corvair does not oversteer.  What it DOES do is understeer LESS than most other stock cars.  Can they be spun out?  Yes, but it requires some pretty sloppy driving.  But, so can a Falcon be spun out and in the tests back in the day, it produced the lowest rate of lateral acceleration of all cars tested.

To quote ole 'Doc Hudson' [the movie, Cars] "You have to turn right to go left."  Of course, the racers induce oversteer with the throttle.  No stock Corvair ever had the torque to do that.  Honestly now, in the hardest left hand turn you have ever made with a Corvair, which way were you turning the steering wheel [before you lost it]?  An 'oversteering' vehicle is started into a left turn by turning the steering wheel to the left to get the turn started, then the wheel will have to be turned to the RIGHT to maintain the left hand turn.  The faster one goes the harder to the right the wheel must be turned.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
65 Monza 110hp 4 speed 2 door
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.