<VV> Fan Belt Physics

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Mon Jul 1 22:01:31 EDT 2013

Bill,

I believe that the only time a properly adjusted belt will  slip is under
high acceleration/deceleration conditions on the motor RPM.   This happens
during shifts.  The motor changes RPM very quickly at these  shift points.
You want the fan to slip a little at these points or the fan  belt will be
more likely to fly off.  Unless the belt is too loose, I don't  think the fan
will freewheel other than the mentioned accel/decel  situation.  This is
especially the case when everything has warmed up to  operating levels.  Once
the belt and pulleys are warm/hot, the contact  friction increases.  Also, the
engine will have grown due to thermal  expansion.

Just my opinion,

Doc

1960 Corvette, 1961 Rampside, 1962 Rampside, 1964 Spyder  coupe, 1965
Greenbrier, 1966 Canadian Corsa turbo coupe, 1967 Nova SS, 1968  Camaro ragtop

In a message dated 7/1/2013 4:51:52 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message:  1