<VV> The Flipping Fanbelt...any clues in this picture?

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 22:16:09 EDT 2013

I watched a belt flip on my car once. It didn't come off right away, it
rolled over and ran with the top as one of the sides in the groove, (a
wrapped belt) then came off. So, I put it back, and revved it a few times
and it did the same thing. I had previously replaced the steel engine
pulley with a harmonic balancer, so did not consider that a problem at the
time.

I replaced the Alternator fan pulley with a NOS one, the engine fan pulley
with a NOS one, and the problem went away. Both oldies were 50 years old
and neither ran true.  The new ones don't either, but are much better. I
run the Top Cog belt today, as I found issues running the OTTO wrapped
belt, it kept stretching until it did not run straight up from the engine
pulley to the idler and was rubbing the edges of both pulleys.

Just recently I found a dis-bonding harmonic balancer that is only 3 years
and 3500 miles old since rebuild. It was on the car when I was having
issues with the wrapped belts and when I pulled the balancer off, found a
portion of it had been dis-bonded for a long time, maybe never bonded
correctly. While it looked like it was running true when I watched it, I
was having vibration problems at a specific RPM that I have always felt
were belt related, and now with new pulleys and balancer, is virtually a
non-issue. Mark Durham