<VV> causes why belts squeel?

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Mon Jul 8 00:17:41 EDT 2013

On 7/7/2013 4:35 PM, Matt Nall wrote:

>      just general question as to why and the theory of belt squeal
>   trey bosson
> Wellsville ny
>   _____________________

in terms of theory - I'd guess it is  a stick-slip thing, maybe portions
of the belt are slipping at different instants?
I guess it is the belt itself that radiates the noise, rather than the
pulleys?
If so, you'd think the sound would vary depending on the length of the
span and maybe the tightness of the belt - but I've never played around
with the parameters.

I think most of the belt slip problems I've ever encountered were due to
worn out pulleys, they were U-pulleys instead of V-pulleys.

Cheers
Jay