<VV> LM Door Glass Removal

hallgrenn at aol.com hallgrenn at aol.com
Wed Jul 10 09:40:08 EDT 2013

Erich,

The only thing I would add is that the lower front channel adjustment screw (down at the front bottom of the door) will probably be frozen with rust.  After you take off the door panel, coat the lower screw with a rust penetrant of your choice a few days (hours) beforehand and use a wire brush on the threaded part behind the channel before you try to remove it.  You can break the threaded tab off of the front channel if the screw won't free up.  Get all of the window assembly parts out of the door before you have it blasted (and be sure they blast the area up under the top of the door (where the window is) as that has been slowly rusting for years.  Then be sure to paint everything inside the door to stop future rust before you reassemble the window mechanism.  (You can use a mirror to look around to see where the rust is).  On the only two doors that I have done "right" I turned the doors upside down to allow rust proofer and then primer to flow into the creases of the door.

If the chrome nut on the hinge side of the front of the door that adjusts the vent window isn't rusty then use a rag to protect the chrome finish when you remove it. The vent window will have to be rotated to remove it.  You'll have to "worry" a few parts free, but they'll come out ok with a little patience.  Of course you'll be wire brushing and painting all of the window hardware while the car body is being media blasted.  Everything will work as good as new (and frequently better than new) after everything has been reinstalled and adjusted--pay particular attention to the channels so that they remain equidistant as the window slides up and down.  If they vary the window will become cocked and hard to move or jam when raised or lowered.

Bob Hall