<VV> aluminium V-8 in LM 'Vair chassis

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Sat Jul 20 15:51:22 EDT 2013

On 7/19/2013 6:25 PM, ScottyGrover at aol.com wrote:
> I have seen pictures of a LS4 engine and 4T65E transaxile mounted
> transversely in an EM coupe; it fit neatly.  Has anyone tried this combo in  a LM
> car or know definitely why it won't work?
>
> Scotty from Hollyweird

Hi, Scotty
I presume you're speaking of rear wheel drive?
I don't know how different the structure is between em and lm-
I have a 3.8 with 4T60 in my EM.
My Corvair had lots of structure in the way. The main lateral structure
goes through where the motor will be. The longitudinal "frame rail' part
of the unibody came up against the trans, and that was cured with a
torch and hammer to make a bit of clearance. I have a newer motor with
4T65, and that trans will interfere even more. I may have to cut some
frame and replace with tubing or such.
On the Passenger side, the pulleys of the 3.8 just clear the structure.
The pulleys and belts of my blower motor aren't going to fit, and more
structure needs to get replaced.

The V8 will be longer than my 3.8, which means the whole package will
take more width in the car.
So, it is a non-trivial project. However, you get to keep most or all of
your rear seat, and it should go like ****.

Since a LM suspension is already independent, you may wish to keep some
part of it. Obviously you'll need upper A-arms, since the 4T65 won't
accept suspension loads.
It also uses different style axles and u-joints - either modified go
with later style axles, hubs, maybe the disks from the FWD setup.

If you're going FWD, ignore all the above.

Regards
Jay