<VV> CPF Museum and other things

ricebugg at comcast.net ricebugg at comcast.net
Fri Jul 26 18:49:26 EDT 2013

All:  The ownership of the building in Richmond changed as part of a ugly divorce.  That's probably all you need to know.

I came on the CORSA/CPF BoD in 1999 shortly after the closing happened.  DoDo hit the fanfan. That's probably all you need to know.

I was CPF Liaison for my entire 3 years on the combined BoDs.  I was one of three people, CPF President Bill Pearson and Harry being the other being the other two, who went to Yipsi in Oct (IIRC) of 2001 and discussed the "move" of some of CPF's stuff there.  We had a long discussion via e-mails within the BoDs about the location.  It was well thrashed out discussion. Amazing, most of us remained civil and still spoke to one another when it was over.

Not that anything like this is ever "over."  That is probably all you need to know.

As I remember it, we decided on Yipsi because:
	1. Location associated with Corvair production
	2. It has a BoD of community members, including the Mayor of Yipsi
	3. It is SE Michigan.  The State of Michigan has a Automotive Heritage Association (name may not be correct.  It has been awhile), which involves all the auto museum in SE Michigan and other automotive historical sites.  Like homes and cemeteries...!
	4. It is staffed my community members and has good hours.
	5. They wanted us.
	6. Price was right: free
	7. It is easy to get to, with many other non-automotive tourist sites with in easy drive

Yipsi wasn't the only site we reviewed between 1999 and decision to add our stuff to the Yipsi location.  I was off the BoDs as the decision was implemented, which also involved a changes to CPF Staff Committee.  Good hard working people in SE Michigan replaced good hard working people in Virginia.  We owe then.

There is a building next door to the Yipsi museum which would be ideal for a dedicated Corvair Museum associated with the current museum.  All it takes is time and lot and lots of money.  If any of you have the money, a group of somebodies will find the time.  Oh!! Wait!!  We are Corvair people!  We don't have any money.  Thus is the problem.  Sadly

Historically Yours,
					James

Message: 1  Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 12:11:53 -0400