<VV> Deutz engines

karlhaakonsen at comcast.net karlhaakonsen at comcast.net
Tue Jul 30 00:40:04 EDT 2013

Back in the late 1970s and early 1980s, my family was a dealer for Deutz tractors and what was then called the Deutz-Fahr line of farm equipment. This was before the merger of Deutz and Allis  Chalmers that yielded the Deutz-Allis brand. I don't know how much the engines have changed since then, but I was a factory-certified Deutz diesel mechanic at the time. The line of air-cooled diesel engines were truly engineering marvels.

However, there are a few things to remember when it comes to cooling them and comparisons to Corvair engines. One is that being diesel engines, there wasn't the detonation issue that gas engines have. In fact, the Deutz engines were more fuel efficient than the competing water pumper diesels because they were able to run much hotter.

Also, the application was for a high torque, low-rpm diesel tractor engine with a top speed somewhere around 2400 rpm if memory serves... And the engine speed wasn't typically varied much, but operated at fairly constant throttle speeds.

All of the engines were inline, ranging from 3 to six cylinders and the fan blew air axially along the side of the engine, guided by a conical shroud that got narrower toward  the rear of the engine.

Karl (city boy who spent his formative years on a farm) in Boston
CORSA Eastern Director
1966 Monza convertible project car 110/PG

Sent from XFINITY Connect Mobile App