<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 102, Issue 85

lonwall@corvairunderground.com corvairs at pacifier.com
Tue Jul 30 15:20:18 EDT 2013

Hi Smitty -
The question you should ask is why the leak seals for a period then
decides to "open up" at a specific time. Vapor lock may be one
explanation but temp change can also be one.  In Utah we had driven 1000
miles without incident then pulled over at a Wendy's to get lunch.
Headed back on the freeway and "ran out of gas". Checked the engine
compartment and found that the incoming gas line fitting had loosened up
just slightly (I wouldn't have noticed it unless it was already
something I suspected as a possibility). Tightened it and had no more
issues.

This event was witnessed by about 20 members of Bonneville Corvair club.
To many people the classic reaction would have been to replace the "bad"
fuel pump, which incidentally, also involves resealing the incoming
fitting. Problem solved? Temperature changes can push little borderline
problems over the edge.

Lon Wall
www.corvairunderground.com