<VV> Olympics

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Tue Jun 25 17:54:49 EDT 2013

Smitty Says.  It seems to me the attrition rate at the road course was quite
high this year.  Spike was one of those that broke.  Only about 10 laps into
the practice while running as he never has before.  The engine locked up.
The pits is no place to look into one of those kind of problems so I just
let him sit and took the top off the engine today.  Soon as I took the block
cover off I saw the problem.  The windage tray was all smashed up into the
block cover.  I said to myself, (I talk to myself when I am alone in the
garage), I said to myself, that's not right.  Bet something broke
underneath.  I was right.  The rod cap for #3 was in two pieces.  The bottom
of the cylinder is all beat up and the rod is laying on top of the crank
throw.  I said, I'm going to have to fix this if I expect it to run again.

Makes no difference.  Our racing days are over.  VIR was on my bucket list
and I have nothing left to prove to anyone else.  We had a good 10 year run
on that bottom end, of track time and daily driving.  I checked the rod
bearings just a couple of weeks ago and they were fine.  Spike will go back
to being my runabout with a  surprise or two for a "fart machine" from time
to time.