<VV> 1962 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 4-speed 80 h.p. over amillion documented miles !

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Thu Jun 27 11:41:28 EDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: corvairduval <corvairduval at cox.net>

It was hard to answer the a question when we had no reference to what we
were comparing against! There was no link to the source of your statement
in the original post.

 Funny.. I ASKED  "ANY OTHERS"???   Seems pretty straight forward  question to me...  gggg

I received this one;  so someone has no trouble with my simple quesion!!!

"My Dad bought the 60 corvair, I am restoring, to use as his work vehicle. He had to drive his own car but was reimbursed mileage, for it's use.

He bought the car, started using it for work. He drove it on average 350 miles a day, not including personal miles on weekends. He used it for 8 years as a work vehicle. So,

he drove 126350 miles a year, not including vacations.
His total for work only was 1010800 total miles, over 8 years not including vacations or weekends.

He was an evangelist and traveled on weekends preaching at various church's for that 8 year period also. He averaged 125 miles on the weekends traveling to those. So he averaged 125 miles a weekend over 52 weeks which added another 6500 miles a year, multiply that over 8 years, and that added another 52000 miles to the total above.

At the end of 8 years he bought another car, and parked the corvair, for 3 years. At that time I got my drivers license. I drove it, about 20,000 miles myself, over 3 years. I bought another car, and the corvair was again back in Dad's hands.

Dad drove it then as an occasional driver for about 2 or 3 years before he parked it in 1976. Still at this time the motor had never had any work on it, other than regular maintenance. But right before he parked it, for the last time, he thought it had some cracked rings, it started smoking pretty bad.

When he parked it he replaced the motor with the one in the car now, which is from a 1961 car, he scraped the 61 body because it was shot. He thought the original engine had some cracked rings, which was the first engine damage, out of all the miles it was driven.

It was parked in 1976, and had been sitting in the garage until I brought it home in 1997, after he passed away. And I drove it home, after checking a few things and fixing the brakes.

I have the original engine on an engine stand waiting to be taken apart, to see what was wrong. I doubt I would ever rebuild this motor. I can't imagine there is anything in it that is not beyond repair, after the life it had. But the parts car has what is supposed to be a good engine, and I can be sure it will not have the mileage on it that mine has.

Most of the miles on this car where obviously highway miles.

Can I document what I just shared with you, no, so decide for your self, if you believe my corvair's history. But it is true."

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://tinyurl.com/The-Corvair-Patio

http://tinyurl.com/Matts-Tech-Pages