<VV> carbon removal

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Mar 3 00:36:22 EST 2013

I like GM Top Engine cleaner also.

But, if one needs to clean carbon now, not after a trip to the dealer,
just use water!

Water will not soak the crud out of the intake system like the GM
cleaner, but it WILL clean carbon out of the combustion chamber.

Remove air cleaner/assembly to expose carb throats. Start engine. Pour
water out of a soda (pop) bottle slowly at first, then add throtle and
more water keeping a balance of engine running about 1k rpm and
increasing throttle opening. One could go all the way to full throttle
and still keep rpms low with the water.

BIG WARNING> Do not stall engine and pour water into the stopped engine.
It will be hydrolocked! If this happens, do not try to start the engine.
Remove all 6 spark plugs and spin engine (with starter is fine) to blow
water out of the cylinders. Cranking a hydrolocked engine can bend rods,
etc. This warning would apply to GM cleaner also.

My aunt drove a 283 Chevelle. It developed a hard knock. Yep, knock was
gone after service station did the water trick. Obviously she did all
around town to and from work driving only. If I had the car it wouldn't
have developed that problem. My cousin didn't either after he got the
car. ggg

Frank DuVal