<VV> 17" or 18" wheels on an FC

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Sun Mar 3 12:42:24 EST 2013

I've heard that but have had the opposite experience.  I don't know of any street tire in the range we are talking about that can handle hitting a square edge curb at speed and survive.
I've worn out several sets of 245/45 tires without a single failure and I bottom the suspension very hard all the time hitting dips and elevation changes on the street.  No tire failures.
I've had many failures on "regular" sized tires 13" 14" and 15" that weren't run nearly as hard.
I think failures have a lot more to do with tire pressure, tire quality and hitting things that shouldn't be hit with any tire.
My son hit something hard enough (several months ago) to bend the rim lip on my wife's CTS (17" wheels) and the tire is still fine.
Joel