<VV> SF Quality Oil

Gary Swiatowy gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Thu Mar 7 04:40:02 EST 2013

Yes, the ACCEL brand oil is on the shelves again at Wally World.
It has been for about a year now.
A year ago when I spotted it, I grabbed the 12 quarts that were on the
shelf. A week later it was re-stocked and has been ever since.
I had contacted Warren refinery 2 years ago to see where it could be
purchased in my area when Wal Mart stopped carrying it. That's when I found
that slow sales stopped Wal mart. But things change. Here it is $2.57 a
quart.
But if you can't find that, don't despair, as Dollar General carries a store
brand which still has the zinc dialkyldithiophosphate in it (ZDDP). You can
tell which one as it does not have the starburst logo and states "For use in
vehicles 1988 and older." Two years ago, I contacted Dollar General
requesting a technical data sheet for the oil. They had the refinery manager
call me! Dollar General has exceptional customer service.

If you are afraid of using an oil from brands that don't have name
recognition. First, both of these oils are refined in the US using US
drilled oil. You are not paying for a brand name and an additive package
that does not include the zinc.

As for the Brad Penn oil that is selling for $7.00 a quart. From what I have
been able to determine, it is simply the formulation we used to get in the
Kendall GT oil we used to pick up at case discount costs at Valu Home
centers. Something like $12 per case and a $5 rebate. Amazing what a little
marketing will do. This comes from ARG (American Refining Group)

Sure, if you have only one hobby car, the annual oil change is not a huge
expense. Buy Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic.
But if you have a dozen oil changes to do like me. The Accel and Do Gen
brands are the best deal going.

Gary Swiatowy

From: Ray Davis <scout1977 at hotmail.com>
Subject: <VV> SF Quality Oil

Several moons and many email messages ago, it was determined that API
Service Category SF oil was one of the oils we could safely use in a Corvair
motor .  The problem was finding it.  Wally World sold it for a while and
then it disappeared from the shelves.  If I recall correctly, the
distributor, Warren Performance indicated there was not enough call for it
so it was being discontinued.  I was in Wally World earlier today and found
it back on the shelf.  It is ACCEL branded 10W-40 and made in the USA.
$2.47 a quart. The label indicates "SF Quality for Model Years 1988 and
Earlier."  The stock may just be a quirk.  There was seven quarts on the
shelf and I took six.  Let's see if it will be restocked. Ray "let it snow"
Davis