<VV> Need Vacuum Advance Re: turbo Corvair fuel mileage

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Thu Mar 7 14:19:21 EST 2013

Ray,
    Read Chapter 33 on Turbocharging in the Corvair  BASICS Manual
(available from CORSA).  The last section on Modifications  discusses adding vacuum
advance to the ignition system to improve both throttle  response AND fuel
mileage.  The turbo Corvairs are the ONLY Corvairs that  do NOT have vacuum
advance and they need it for driving under normal street,  highway and other
unboosted conditions.  When I installed vacuum  advance in my 180, the
mileage (driving back and forth to work every day)  improved by over 20%.
    Frank Burkhard
    Boonton, NJ

In a message dated 3/7/2013 1:37:43 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,